UNITE! is an exciting new addition for 2017 to recognize Multiculturalism Day. We will host a full day of performances that will celebrate the diversity, communities and cultures that make our city, province and country so special.
Engage with artisans and roaming performers, participate in a variety of interactive experiences, workshops, and creation stations as you make your way to the North Point for the main event.
The stage on the North Point will be programmed throughout the day with a variety of acts – popular performers including musicians, dancers and drummers. The day will finish off with a free concert on the stage at the North Point, featuring Alex Cuba and headliners Delhi 2 Dublin.
- Date: Tuesday, June 27
- Time: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Location: North Point & West Promenade, Canada Place
Main stage schedule
- 10:00 a.m. – Emcee: Emilie Leclerc & Najjah Calibur
- 10:05 a.m. – Traditional Coast Salish Welcome
- 10:15 a.m. – We Are One
- 11:00 a.m. – Ache Brasil
- 11:50 a.m. – Karen Flamenco
- 12:50 p.m. – Tiller’s Folly
- 1:40 p.m. – Mohamed Assani
- 2:45 p.m. – ILAM with World Music Fusion
- 4:00 p.m. – Diyet
- 5:00 p.m. – Alex Cuba
- 6:30 p.m. – Delhi 2 Dublin
Additional highlights include:
- Samba Fusion
- World Instrument Workshop
- Lion Dancers
- Tee-Pee Theatre
- David DiTomasso Drum Syndicate
- Food Trucks
Alex Cuba has won multiple Juno and Latin Grammy awards. His sugarcane-sweet melodies, pop-soul hooks and powerful guitar riffs, relinquish a conventional stereotype that exemplifies much of the Latin music landscape. He has collaborated with artists such as Nelly Furtado, Juan Luis Guerra, Juanes and Ron Sexsmith.
Born Alexis Puentes in Artemisia, Cuba, he was immersed in music at a very young age. Alex went on to study guitar and bass, touring nationally and internationally. In 1999, Alex moved to Vancouver where he recorded an album titled “Morumba Cubana” alongside his twin brother Adonis, as The Puentes Brothers.